CHRISTOPHER P. TURNER
Born 1950, London, England
Domiciled in U.S.A. since 1975
Education: ALLEYN’S COLLEGE OF GOD’S GIFT, London EALING COLLEGE, London
Instruments Played: Harmonicas, flutes, Bagpipes, Jawharp, Synthesizers.
Born into a musical family in London, England, Chris Turner learned harmonica and recorder as a child. He has been playing professionally since 1967 working in a variety of idioms including Folk, Rock, Blues, Jazz, Country, Early and Avant-garde music. While traveling extensively in Europe and Africa, he assimilated many different musical styles. Early in the 1970’s, Chris studied composition with Christopher Small and improvisation with John Stevens. In 1975, Chris Turner was recognized for his virtuosity when he was awarded the European Harmonica Championship. Chris performed as soloist for the Rhode Island Philharmonic performing two fully orchestrated pieces by Paul Nelson. These pieces were written specifically for him. Chris has toured with numerous professional bands and appears on many recordings . He has worked extensively as a Composer, Music Director, and Arranger for various theatrical organizations including Rhode Island’s prestigious Trinity Repertory Company, as well as for films, animations, radio and t.v. Besides a variety of harmonicas, Chris is also proficient on flutes, bagpipes, brass, synthesizers.
Bands include: Intergalactic Swamp Rangers, Missouri Compromise,Aurea Ensemble, Ian Anderson’s Blues Band, Champion Jack Dupree, The Screw, S.M.E., Portsmouth Sinfonia, Have Mercy, Nee Ningy, Aurea Ensemble, Bo Lozoff, Mimi Farina, Big Boy Henry, The Hubbards, The Players, The Whompers, Bobby Bradford, Eugene Chadbourne, 100th Monkey, WuJi, and many more.
Born in Norton, Virginia
Education: ROYAL COLLEGE OF ART, London, England
Instruments played: Fiddle, Bass Harmonica, Melodeon, Psaltery, (midi Fiddle with Synthesizers, etc.)
Born in the coal mining town of Norton, Virginia where her father worked in the mines. Deep in the heart of Appalachia, her love of fiddle music developed at an early age. Living later in North Carolina, her repertoire continued to grow, remaining predominantly Appalachian and Country Blues.
While attending the Royal College of Art in London, England, Rachel’s musical horizons greatly widened with the discovery of music from Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland and the Shetlands. Traveling extensively throughout Europe and West Africa, her ears were opened to new, exciting and eclectic forms of traditional music. Over the years she has performed, lectured, led workshops, recorded, written and arranged music for the theater. She also has played with several improvisation and new music groups. ( John Stevens Workshop,The Repeatos,The Portsmouth Sinfonia, “In C Prov”)
The bands she has toured with reach as far north as Canada and as far south as Florida, remaining primarily east of the Mississippi, venturing frequently on tours to Europe( UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Holland, Germany, Morocco). In 1987, Rachel was offered a position as performer, composer and actor at Trinity Repertory Company in Providence, Rhode Island. During that time, she continued to do a few major tours a year, usually to Europe and Canada, after shorter tours to North Carolina and Virginia and New England. Her musical interests have further developed to include electronic and multi-media collaborations, new music compositions and some film and t.v. scores. She has done teaching and lecture performances for more than 25 year for The Music School of the Rhode Island Philharmonic.
Currently she teaches both at music camps and privately. She tours with a variety of artists up and down the east coast and in Europe.( Intergalactic Swamp Rangers,The Whompers, Nee Ningy, The Dismal Swamp Moaners, The Providence Wholebellies, The Huffers Harmonica Trio, 100th Monkey, Big Boy Henry Blues Band, Drink Small /Jazz Heritage Festival)
As a young musician she enjoyed playing with and learning from the previous generation. As a mature musician she enjoys collaborating with and learning from the next generation. Every generation has something truly unique to bring to the table.
The Portsmouth Sinfonia,Intergalactic Swamp Rangers, Nee Ningy Band, Big
Zucchini Washboard Bandits, Big boy Henry Band, Drink Small Band, The Hubbards,The Players,The Hankies, TheWhompers, 100th Monkey, Spontaneous Music Ensemble, The Repeatos,The Providence
Wholebellies, Chris Turner and the Blue Hussars, The Huffers Harmonica Trio, The Third Program and many more
Rachel’s Bio Selected Samples:
- 1974 Portsmouth Sinfonia
- 1973 The Terribles Jug Band; London based jug band
- 1977-76 Sleet Sops; Duo performing Britsh and celtic music
- 1977-Present The Noogies; British based Country Blues Band
- 1977-81Nee Ningy; North Carolina based touring folk band
- 1985-Present The Banished Fool’s; Wild and Crazy band of minstrels and players
- 1981-85The Big Zucchinni Washboard Bandits; North Carolina Based touring Folk band
- 1981 The Leroy Hoke Memorial Concert; performer in avant-garde ensemble
- 1982 Theater of the Senses; composed and performed
- 1985-Present The Whomper’s; Musical trio playing a wide variety of eclectic and well known instrumentals
- 1986-87 The Players; produced and recorded Chrismas The Players
- 1987-Present Trinity Repertory Theater; Composed, performed and sometimes directed various theatrical productions
- 1988 The Girl of the Golden West Soho Rep.NY. N.Y.
- 1989Volpone Trinity Repertory Theater
- The Idiot Trinity 1990Pan Twilight Circus Portland Oregon
- Disgrace Dance Theater Workshop NYC NY
- Cetaceans Sacred Spaces AS220 Providence RI
- 1991 School for Wives Trinity Repertory Theater
- Leroy Hoke Band East Coast tour and recordings
- 1992 Fences Macbeth TrinityRepertory co.
- Beowulf Real Fun Theater Providece
- Frailejon Feature length movie
- 1993 Twelfth Night Trinity Rep. Co.
- Concealed Performance Original Music and Dance
- Convergance Festival Providence RI
- Soundscape First Night Providence Quadraphonic original electronic sound
- 1994Measure for Measure,The Miser,The Winter¹s Tale,Christmas Carol Trinity
- Rep.Co. Wild Windows First Night Providence Banished Fool’s 1995